Admission for 8th Young Professional Leadership Program (YPLP-8)
Course Launched: 10th April 2016
The Young Professionals Leadership Program (YPLP) is a four-week course intended for mid-career professionals from various sectors.
The program offers an opportunity for the civil service, armed forces, corporate and other sectors to identify and groom potential future leaders so as to train, guide and enable them to realize their full leadership potential. It allows for cross-fertilization of ideas between the various disciplines and promote networking and bonding amongst the participants. Participants of the course are also exposed to some of the pertinent national issues and emerging challenges of which they need to be cognizant about.
The course includes a week-long outdoor learning expedition and team building camp. The main objective of this outdoor module is to help participants build self-awareness and skills to work as a team.
Week I: Leadership & Governance I
- Leadership of the Self
- Thinking Mindfully
- Professionalism, Ethics and Integrity in Public Service
- Presentation/Communication Skills
Week II: Leadership & Governance II
- Design Thinking
- Negotiation Skills
- Public Policies: Key Socio-economic Considerations
Week III: Outdoor Learning Expedition & Team Building Camp
Week IV: Bhutan: Evolution as a Nation
- Bhutan’s Political History: Formation and Development of the Bhutanese State
- The Role of Monarchs in Shaping the Bhutanese State: 100 Years & Beyond
- Bhutan’s Foreign Policy: Key Issues
- Bhutanese Values and Tradition/Culture
- Domestic Security: Trends and Issues
- Role of State Institutions in the Economy
- Monetary Policy/Banking Issues
- Bhutan’s Political Economy: Issues, Challenges and Opportunities
Competitive Selection Process For YPLP-8
1. Intake & Slots distribution
|Sl. No.||Category/Sector||Mode of selection||Slots|
|1||Civil Servants||Open competition||15|
|2||Armed Forces||Nomination by Armed Forces and final selection by RIGSS||3|
|Nomination by agencies and final selection by RIGSS||
|5||His Majesty’s nominees||Nomination||4|
2. Online Application System for YPLP-8 Opens
All interested and eligible candidates from the civil service, autonomous agencies, private companies and CSOs and those nominated from the Corporations/SoEs and Armed Forces will be invited to register and apply for the course through the RIGSS Online Application System, which will open at 11:00 AM on 8th June 2019. Registered users will be given access to the Online Admission Tests.
3. Submission of Written Works & Other Credentials
Online application system will close at 5:00 PM on 18th June 2019. Applicants must submit their written works and other credentials on or before the deadline. Further, extra-ordinary achievements, which are supported by proof of recognition/reward, will also be awarded additional points in the final selection.
4. Declaration of Results for Shortlisted Candidates
A panel of experts will evaluate the written works submitted by applicants. Based on evaluation of the written works, marks obtained in the Class X and XII Board examinations and academic qualifications, applicants will be shortlisted and names of the shortlisted candidates will be announced latest by 5:00 PM on 5th July 2019 on the Institute’s website (www.rigss.bt).
5. Psychometric Test for Shortlisted Candidates
Shortlisted candidates will have to give an online psychometric test as a part of the final selection during 9th July to 11th July 2019. The candidates shall complete the test within the stipulated time. Scores obtained from the test will be used in the final selection of candidates. Test instructions and deadline will be emailed to candidates soon after the shortlisted candidates are declared.
6. Interview for Shortlisted Candidates
A Skype video interview will be organized during 9th July to 11th July 2019 for all shortlisted candidates. The interview will last for 15-20 minutes, and scores obtained from the interview will be used in the final selection of candidates. The Institute will schedule the interviews for all shortlisted candidates and intimate the date and time in advance.
7. Declaration of Final Results
Names of the selected candidates will be announced within 15th July 2019 on the Institute’s website (www.rigss.bt).
Candidates applying for the course must meet the following general and sector-specific eligibility criteria:
1. General Criteria (applies to all candidates)
- Applicants must have a minimum qualification of Bachelors degree (any field)
- Applicants should have been born on 04th August 1979 or later
- An applicant should maintain a minimum gap of five years between two RIGSS courses (FLP/YPLP/SELP). For example, if a candidate has attended the YPLP course, he/she will be eligible for the SELP course only after five years. Similarly, if a candidate has attended FLP, he/she will be eligible for YPLP only after five years from the date of completion of FLP.
2. Sector-specific Criteria:
- Applicants from the civil service must be in P2 or P3 position levels
- Applicants from constitutional bodies, autonomous agencies, corporations, SoEs, CSOs and private companies must possess a minimum work experience of 8 years (CVs should clearly specify job history)
- Applicants from the armed forces must be in the rank of a Major
Apart from the above eligibility criteria, the following attributes pertaining to the candidates are also assessed:
- Outstanding track record of service
- High degree of developmental readiness
- High potential for future leadership roles
- Ability and willingness to work in teams
- Currently shouldering managerial/leadership roles